Explanation

Picking out a record from my collection at random and making myself play it. It's too easy to go directly to the ones you love most!

Thursday 27 September 2012

Reviews of 500 vinyl records selected relatively randomly from my record collection

I just moved all my records from one house to another. Not the most enjoyable tasks, as they weigh a lot and are easily damaged. It also meant taking down the IKEA Expedit shelves and putting them back together again (a factor in 6% of murders in Northern Europe). All in all, a ball-ache, but with a silver lining of actually getting to see some of my records for the first time in years.

The strange thing about having your records all stacked up nicely is that you hardly ever see the covers, just the spines. Those with a thin spine can go missing entirely. I realised that there were large numbers of records that I'd not played in years and got an overwhelmingly morbid thought that I'd probably never play a significant proportion of them again. It's far too easy just to play mp3's when using the computer or CDs when bobbing about the house.

Disturbed by my loved, but rarely used records languishing on the shelves, it struck me to make an effort to listen to a good proportion of them. In fact, not only that - to write out my thoughts on what they sound like, and what they meant to me when I bought them. Whether they ever got a fair hearing, or were they just a mistake, listened to the once and forever consigned to my shelves. Anyway, I randomly decided to try to check out 500 as that should keep me going for a couple of years and this blog will be the result.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment